Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's not a simple "no-no" anymore.

Last time I shared parenting challenges it was how to exercise with a baby...now I'm on to seemingly bigger things! Things that impact the rest of my child's life. Today we had friends over to play with Greyson. He was very bossy and controlling. He wouldn't let them play with certain things and when they didn't do it his way he fussed. He was so ugly, self centered, and rude. It hurt their feelings and it made me feel really sad. I know this behavior is somewhat normal for his age and I don't want to have unrealistic expectations for him, but something about today burdened me. The question is how to discipline this behavior. What if Joshua and I put too much pressure on Greyson? He seemingly has enough perfectionism within himself without us adding to it. I think we may need to relax our expectations for him a bit especially on less important issues, such as how he treats his toys. He imparts those expectations to his friends. As in all things, there needs to be balance. I will continue to pray for Greyson's character and salvation. I will do my best to model putting others first, but today I think I have to take away the toys he was so possessive with (monster trucks).

I know that I am also very ugly, self centered, and rude. Christ is beautiful within me! Praise him for freedom.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness, so glad that we're not the only ones in this boat. It's so funny that you talk about perfection. I to think we sometimes put to much pressure on Caden to always be perfect and do the right thing... Guess I need to remind myself more often that he is only 2 1/2, and he's supposed to make mistakes and learn from them!

I'm sure Greyson is a wonderful little person. He's a product of two beautiful parents with tons of love! Don't stress too much, you're doing a great job!